Wednesday, May 11, 2016

My Brew of Civet Coffee

Hello coffee addicts!

Probably you already heard the story behind this coffee or even tasted it. As for me, this is my first cup of joe and I’m truly glad that my friend sent me this.

Civet is not a fancy brand like Starbucks or Figaro. It’s actually a wild cat that is mostly found in the jungles of Indonesia. The connection of this cat to the bag of coffee that I have here in this photo will truly amaze you. 

Ready for action!
Civet cats love to eat coffee cherries. The pulp of the fruit gets digested but of course the coffee bean remains intact until the cat eliminates it from their body. The beans (now in the poop) are gathered, cleansed and processed, and sold as kopi luwak. Because of this unusual preparation, civet coffee is the most expensive coffee in the world. Imagine having a cup of coffee at the price of $35 to $80 and one pound bag of beans costs $100 to $600!

Image grabbed from: http://bit.ly/1QYwEZJ 

Preparation

My friend told me to visit this site on how to properly brew a perfect cup. My kopi luwak is already ready for brewing. I had my French Press ready and prepared to brew for 2 cups – one for me and one for Didi.

The directions said 1 ounce of coffee to 450ml of fresh hot water – never boiling water. I measured my coffee with the use of the espresso shot glass (this is equivalent to 30cc or 1 ounce), put it in the French Press first. Pour water inside the French Press and let it brew for about 4 minutes. Make sure that the lid and plunger of the French Press are pulled all the way to the top. If you like it stronger (like I do), you can have it stay a little longer to achieve that ideal coffee kick.

The longer you brew it, the more bitter and stronger the coffee becomes.

Now, push the plunger down to the bottom as the coffee grounds will be pushed down to the bottom as well and gets separated from the brewed coffee. Pour your freshly brewed coffee into your favorite mug and enjoy!

The Moment of Truth

The moment I’ve been waiting for --- to sip and taste the unique taste and aroma of civet coffee:
  • Taste – since I brewed it for almost 6 minutes, I experienced bitterness and a little bit of tanginess on the side. But no crude after taste. I did not put any creamer or sugar because I wanted to taste its natural flavor. And it did not failed me. 
  • Aroma – from the time I opened the sealed bag of coffee up to the time that it was brewing, its strong smell emanates a powerful energetic aroma that I really like.

I’m no coffee connoisseur (I just love drinking coffee), but I can say that this coffee holds its true mark of being the most expensive coffee in the world. I love the flavorful and bold taste of civet coffee. I hope I can more supply next time. :)

If you love to order this coffee, feel free to contact me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Infolinks In Text Ads